In this day and age of music cross-pollination, Claude VonStroke sits at the forefront of all that is good, proper, and most importantly, fun. He’s just as at home remixing Kenny Larkin or Rihanna as he is dropping multiple underground hits. DJ-wise, his relentless touring of every major city, festival and, basement after-party around the world has only enriched this unique perspective on music.
Raised in Detroit and now based in Venice Beach, Barclay Crenshaw created the quirky alias “Claude VonStroke” in 2005 and went on to become one of the most well-respected label owners and DJs in dance music. His first release, ‘Deep Throat’ was a hit, putting his imprint on the decks of DJs around the globe. But the real breakthrough came with double-header ‘The Whistler/Who’s Afraid of Detroit?.’ The 12” cemented Claude’s reputation as a producer to be reckoned with, crossing borders, genres, and musical ears, and is now known as one of the classic dance releases of the decade.
Since then, VonStroke has released three original artist albums, a remix album, and several high profile mix compilations. Highlights include a collaboration with the legendary P-Funk bassist Bootsy Collins as well as a few #1 & #2 hits on Beatport. Most importantly, VonStroke has kept it original, fun and funky.
As the owner of the record labels, Dirtybird & Mothership, VonStroke also built an impeccable A&R roster signing acts like Justin Martin, Julio Bashmore, Catz ‘n Dogz, Riva Starr, Tim Green, Breach, Eats Everything, Maetrik, Italoboyz, Justin Jay, and Shiba San well before they broke out of their hometown scenes (he even named a few of these artists.) Today, his labels continue to surprise and innovate in the underground dance scene, releasing an enigmatic combination of house, funk, dirty-bass, and electronica. Staying true to Crenshaw’s Detroit heritage, Dirtybird and Mothership donate 10% of profits to a children’s music school in Detroit.
A lot of Claude’s success can be attributed to a good attitude. He does not scowl and look mean while he DJs. He does not pretend to know everything and truly loves his fans. He is grateful to be doing music for a living and knows that the reason people go to parties is to shake their asses and have fun.
Catch him playing at numerous festivals and clubs worldwide, or, even better, at his legendary Dirtybird BBQ series of outdoor events.
- Mixmag gets Claude VonStroke to Interview Eats Everything
- Billboard Goes to Dirtybird Campout with Claude VonStroke
- Claude VonStroke is Voted America's Best DJ for 2016
- Mixmag reveals tour dates for Claude VonStroke and Green Velvet's collab 'Get Real'
- Billboard lists Eric Prydz, Claude Vonstroke and Justin Martin as standout performers at HARD DOTD
- Billboard gets a dose of dirtybird's BBQ as Claude VonStroke takes over CODE
- Village Voice talks dirtybird BBQ tour with Claude VonStroke
- Entertainment Weekly Premieres Claude VonStroke's 'CaliFuture' EP
- Mixmag Listens to Claude VonStroke's Urban Animals Remix Album
- Exclaim reviews VonStroke's Urban Animal remixes
- VonStroke Sits Down With This American Life of Techno – MadCap
- Claude VonStroke does Vogue!
- VonStroke, Dusky, Scuba, Nicolas Jaar, George Fitzgerald, Scuba and Seth Troxler make DA’s 2013 top 25 house and techno artists
- Claude VonStroke, Dusky and Breach made ‘game changing’ tracks in 2013, says Billboard
- Claude VonStroke Sits Down with Westword
- Claude VonStroke chats internet era music with Miami New Times
- Metro Times Chats with Detroiter VonStroke
- Dancing Astronaut singles out Claude VonStroke's "The Clapping Track"
- XLR8R Looks at Claude VonStroke's Urban Animal
- InTheMix catches up with Claude VonStroke
- Claude VonStroke's HARD Summer set singled out by OC Weekly
- Claude VonStroke Offers Real Detroit Weekly a dirtybird History Lesson
- The Boston Phoenix Gets a Taste of Mr. Von Stroke
- dirtybird Players Various Artists Compilation
- All Aboard! Pure Volume talks Holy Ship with Claude VonStroke
- Turbosteppa music video premiere
- Claude Von Stroke on LA Weekly's Greatest EDM DJ List
- Claude VonStroke's "Turbosteppa" premieres on Rolling Stone Music
- Claude VonStroke's remix of Justin Martin featured XLR8R's Press Play
- Pulse gets up close and personal with Claude VonStroke at Electric Zoo
- LA Weekly says Claude VonStroke is taking over
- Noisey takes a tour of Detroit with Claude VonStroke
- Real Detroit Weekly talks inspiration with Claude VonStroke
- Droog and Claude VonStroke talk Detroit Techno Legacy with Metro Times
- Claude VonStroke and Justin Martin Interview Each Other on URB
- Miami New Times Enjoys Some Dirtybird BBQ
- Hatched Vol. 1 Review From XLR8R
- Magnetic Reviews Le Fantome from Claude von Stroke
- Listen to Dirty Bird on East Village Radio
- Le Fantôme - Claude von Stroke (DB068)